Thursday, May 13, 2010

Douche of the Day: Understanding Spanish

I don't know Spanish. I've worked in a Mexican restaurant and thought it would be prudent of me to learn at least a teensy bit of Spanish to get along. As it turns out, I am terrible at learning a new language.

Anyway, I thought about this one day when I was carrying on a phone conversation with a woman who was ordering food.

She asks me for chicken tacos. We get through the rest of the order just fine.

I read her order back to her. She screams: "No PLATO, I said PLATO. Not TACO. Like platter, or plata?"

Me: "Plate? You meant chicken plates?"

Her: "Plato! I mean plato! What's plato in English?"

Me: "Plate. Plato is plate in English".

Her: "What? That doesn't make any sense. I want the platos of chicken"

Me: "Ok, so you want two chicken plates-"

Her: "NO, PLATOS-I don't want PLATES!"

Me: "A plato is a plate, ma'am"

Her: "What?"

Me: "A plato is a plate. It's the same thing".

Her: "Oh. Well what's my total?"

No comments:

Post a Comment